Clinical and Basic Science Symposium Sponsored by District 8
October 31 @ 7:00 am CDT
Maj. Joshua Akers, Periodontics Resident, Army
Effects of Prebiotics and Initial Optical Density Variations on Lactobacillus Reuteri and Bifidobacterium Animalis Viability in an In-Vitro Biofilm Model
Capt. Daniel DiPirro, Periodontics Resident, Army
Effect of Low-Level Nd:YAG Laser Irradiation on Proliferation and Differentiation of MG-63 Cells in Vitro
Capt. Daniel Bruin, Periodontics Resident, Army
Efficacy of Plasma Sterilization for Dental Implant Drills
Capt. Megan Bunting, Periodontics Resident, Army
Effect of Low-Level Nd:YAG Laser Irradiation on Cytokine Production in Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells
Maj. Kristi Kennedy, Periodontics Resident, Air Force
Ex Vivo Characterization of Αsma+ Periodontal Stem Cells and the Role of Bmp2 in Mus Musculus
Maj. Rachael Voigt, Periodontics Resident, Air Force
Surgical and Radiographic Parameters to Guide Timing of Implant Loading in the Posterior Mandible
Capt. Christopher Pesut, Periodontics Resident, Air Force
The Effects of Using Ozone Treated Water on Biofilm Accumulation in Dental Unit Water Lines
LCDR Eric Draper, Periodontics Resident, Navy
A Characterization of Oral and Systemic Immunity After Induced Graft-Versus-Host Disease in Mice with Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplants
Clark T. Barco, Periodontist, Department of Veterans Affairs
3D Printed Bone Graft with Embedded, Controlled-Release Growth Factors and Cytokines: An In Vitro Study
Ian Pearson, Periodontist, Department of Veterans Affairs
Clinical Case Series of New Xerostomic Products
Owais A. Farooqi
COL Robert Herold
All registered participants are welcome to attend.
Periodontics residents from the Army, Air Force, and Navy, and speakers from the Department of Veterans Affairs, will provide a series of 10-minute research presentations.
The presentations cover a wide variety of clinical and basic science topics that advance the biologic rationale for contemporary therapies and suggest innovative methods for next generation treatment. This seminar includes presentations on basic science and clinical research.
Each speaker will have two minutes to answer questions following the presentation, with three minutes allotted for speaker transition.
Moderator: COL Robert W. Herold, Army
- Illustrate the benefits and limitations of utilizing probiotics as an adjunct to standard periodontal therapy.
- Define photobiomodulation.
- Explain the physics of plasma sterilization.
- Show possible mechanisms of action for the effect of Nd:YAG laser irradiation on peripheral blood mononuclear cells based on in vitro and animal studies.
- Describe the effect of Bmp2 on differentiation of αSMA+ periodontal stem cells from Mus musculus.
- Explain the impact of early loading on success of dental implants in the posterior mandible.
- Recognize strategies for reducing bacterial levels in water emitted from dental chairs.
- Illustrate the immunological features of graft-versus-host disease.
- Be aware of the potential negative impact of improperly angulated Nd:YAG laser energy during peri-implant disease treatment.
- Discuss the use of 3D printing technology in developing bone grating materials with embedded, controlled-release growth factors and cytokines.
- Explain the effects of xerostomia on oral health.
- Identify the use of TeleDentistry to improve access to dental care.