ELC20-AAPF1: Future Horizons in Periodontology
November 2 @ 9:15 am - 10:00 am CST
Ann M. Decker
Hector F. Rios
This session will consist of two speakers highlighting future directions and emerging concepts in periodontics. The speakers are faculty and practitioners who have benefited from American Academy of Periodontology Foundation initiatives. Each speaker will give a 15-minute presentation, followed by five minutes for discussion.
Periodontal Inflammation in Patients At-Risk for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Review the current evidence on the association between rheumatoid arthritis and periodontitis
- Identify challenges involved in studying the link between rheumatoid arthritis and periodontitis
- Discuss the role of periodontium as a source of auto antibody production in patients serologically at-risk for rheumatoid arthritis
Regulation of Innate Immunity and Wound Healing in the Periodontium
- Understand the latest research on oral wound healing and the regulatory actions of innate immunity
- Identify the systemic risk factors for delayed oral wound healing and how to address these complex cases in the clinic.
- Assimilate emerging techniques for treatment of patients with confounding systemic diseases with periodontal regenerative medicine and implantology.